07 January 2019
JACK EM POPOY: THE PULISREDIBLES
VIC SOTTO || MAINE MENDOZA || COCO MARTIN
APT ENTERTAINMENT || CCM FILM PRODUCTIONS || M-ZET PRODUCTIONS
- The Bossing and Cardo tandem quite surprised me. I am not expecting a chemistry but there is a very decent amount of onscreen chemistry.
- Maine is Maine. You’ll just love to see her but I must say she improved a lot with her acting.
- Compared to Vic’s previous festival entries, there’s a big improvement since last year’s entry (Meant to Beh). Consistent!
- The plot twist is Pinoy film cliche, but still acceptable.
- The flashback and editing were done tastefully.
EDDIE GARCIA || TONY MABESA || GLORIA ROMERO
HEAVEN’S BEST ENTERTAINMENT
- In my 3 years of doing this MMFF review, this is the best movie yet.
- Gloria Romero’s best actress was a well deserved award. You can feel the pain and love from her character in the movie.
- This is not your typical storyline, but again I’ve predicted the twist.
- Max Collins’ did well in this movie. Few scenes but all were excellent.
- The only thing that bothered me was the editing. It’s just minimal though.
JEROME PONCE || RICCI RIVERO
- Another barkada bullying horror film.
- Another orphanage and priest involved horror film.
- In fairness, there are scary moments, I startled twice. 🙂
- The most of the actors (barkada members) need more improvement on their acting.
- The saving grace of this movie is Irma Adlawan.
ONE GREAT LOVE
DENNIS TRILLO || JC DE VERA || KIM CHIU
- I’m torn if I like this movie or not, but it is an okay movie.
- Dennis Trillo is really a brilliant actor. His acting is effortless and very real.
- Kim Chiu improved a lot with her acting but the baby girl is still there, more maturity.
- The theme song is very lovely. Nakaka-in-love.
- Maybe one of the things I disliked in this movie was the trying hard to leave an impact with the expression, “Move on, Tanga!”. So cringe-y!
Anne Curtis || Marco Alcaraz
VIVA FILMS || ALIUD ENTERTAINMENT
- I fell in love with the cinematography. It was very pleasing to the eyes.
- The underwater and drone shots were artistically done. The location will give you a Hollywood feel.
- The music was really scary. Listening to to it alone is enough to scare you.
- The story is quite disappointing, especially the giant plot.
- The ending was a fail. Days in the ocean but they look like they just got tired from swimming the whole day, except the GIANT. WTH?!
THE GIRL IN THE ORANGE DRESS
JERICHO ROSALES || JESSY MENDIOLA
QUANTUM FILMS || STAR CINEMA || MJM PRODUCTION
- Quantum Films and MJM Production’s movies are my most awaited films every MMFF. I must say this one didn’t excite me but it was good.
- The story is quite Korean-ish. Think Full House and My Sassy Girl.
- Jericho Rosales is very charming and Jessy Mendiola is very pretty in this movie.
- The supporting characters are to die for. Imagine all the supporting casts from their previous MMFF entries in one movie. It’s a RIOT!
- The came roles were exciting as well.
MARY, MARRY ME
TONI GONZAGA || SAM MILBY || ALEX GONZAGA
TEN17 P || TINCAN PRODUCTIONS
- This movie is quite disappointing. Maybe because I expected too much since this is a Toni Gonzaga movie.
- Alex Gonzaga is quite funny but a little overacting. I don’t know if that’s what the director asked for.
- The young Alex and Toni both gave justice to their respective roles.
- There were scenes and characters that were not needed and didn’t compliment the main casts and the story.
- Seeing Mommy Pinty and Seve made me smile. They are really internet stars.
DINGDONG DANTES || VICE GANDA || RICHARD GUTIERREZ
STAR CINEMA || VIVA FILMS
- The movie is a fail. Considering Revenger Squad was improvement last year.
- The story and the “moral lesson” is quite forced to the taste of the viewers.
- The love teams were not needed in the story and were obviously cast for the fans.
- The dialogue and jokes were cringe-y.
- My .05 score is for ZION. He is so cute.
Hopefully more quality movies next festival.